Monday, July 12, 2004

More Winning Adventures in Omaha
"We do not learn by experience, but by our capacity for experience." - Buddha
In finally won my first Omaha hi/lo SNG! It was a $5 one, but a win is a win. I played four this weekend and finished 1,3,4, and 6th. I'm pleased because every hand, I am becoming a better Omaha player. The learning curve is much higher for me (compared to Hold'em) when it comes to Omaha, hence the excitement.

As had been my game plan, I played ultra conservative. I quickly found my chips evaporating with all the blinds.

Level 3: With T375 left I knew it was time to make a move. I had: As, Jh, 6d, 3d and doubled up when I won the low pot with the board: 2d 5s 4d 2c Jc. I flopped the Wheel! It wasn't good enough to win the high hand (some dude had a full boat), but at least I doubled up!

Level 5: I had a little over T1100 chips. The blinds were 100/200 and I was 4th out of six remaining players. UTG I found: As, Tc, 2d, 4d and I limped in. The board: 3h Kc 5h 6h 7h. I flopped a nut low draw and bet out. I ended up chopping the low (some other guy has A2 as well) and winning the high pot (23456) with a 6 high straight... for 3/4 of the entire pot. Not too bad, eh? I almost doubled up and was now second in chips.

Level 6: I was the shortstack with T977 after the blinds ate right through my stack like a famished Homer Simpson digging into a plate of pancakes. I got decent strating hands, but a few low hands like A2 were duplicated or were not able to qualify. With 6h, Qh, 2h, 3c, I managed to scoop the entire pot! I had a better low (my 7,6,5,3,2 to the other guy's 7,6,5,4,A) and I hit the flush on the river!! I was second out of four and feeling confident.

Level 7: I made the money and the game was three way. The chip leader had about a 2 to 1 lead over me. With T2716 I won a decisive pot with 9c, Qd, Jd, 4s. I flopped a flush draw and caught the nut flush on the river and won the entire pot! The was no qualifying low hand. I had T4305 and was the out right chipleader.

Level 8: A few hands later I scooped another entire pot with 4s, 8d, Ah, 7d. My low was better by one card (6,5,4,3,A to his 6,5,4,3,2) I had hit a higher straight. I had well over T6200+ in chips.... 4x the second place guy. Within seven hands, I knocked out both guys for my first Omaha SNG win!

No comments:

Post a Comment