Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Las Snow

By Pauly
Las Vegas

I stayed in Las Vegas an extra day because the El Cajon Pass was closed due to the winter blast that hit Southern California and trickled over into Nevada. The El Cajon Pass on I-15 and a necessary traverse that we must cross in order to reach the City of Angels. An alternate route would have taken twice as long and who wants to drive in crappy weather for eight hours? Without snow tires?

I made a conservative decision and stayed in Las Vegas an extra day. I needed the time to sleep off the five-day bender where I got about eight hours of sleep inside of a 120-hour period. The Vegas Crud attacked me on Monday morning and I spent most of Monday holed up in the Castle warding off infection. I also had a nice dinner with Change100, Poker Prof and Flipchip at Burger Bar. It was our annual Christmas end of year dinner; an annual tradition that we have before I depart Las Vegas for the last time during a calendar year. Next time that I'll be here? Hopefully in March for March Madness.

FYI, Flipchip posted some pics of the blogger tournament over at LasVegasVegas.

For most of the night, I kept a close eye on a couple of NBA games that I bet on. Shit, if I was going to be in Vegas for another day, I needed some sort of action. I hit a big bet with the Magic at Golden State. They more than covered the spread. I also got lucky and won a rare three-team NBA parlay.

My sports betting wins more than covered my loses playing live poker and Pai Gow. Funny thing is that I no longer bet ridiculous sums of money on sports. That utter degeneracy of slinging two dimes on a game is a thing of a past. Betting $100 a game is a lot for me these days. Of course, when I bet small... I win. As soon as I started escalating the wager amounts, I'm encircled in doom.

And yes, I did not place one bet on the NFL this weekend. Everything wagered was on the NBA which I know is selectively rigged, yet bet on it anyway. Either I'm exceptionally lucky or I was betting on the right side of the fix. I went 2 for 2 on Friday, finished 1 for 2 and split the Saturday games, 1 for 1 on Sunday, and 4 for 4 on Monday.

Anyway, when I woke up this morning, I gazed out the hotel window and saw the snow-capped mountains that surround the city of Las Vegas. The picture below looks out towards Red Rock Canyon. You can usually make out the maroon-stained rocks, but not in this instance. Feel free to click on the pic to see an enlarged view.


That's it for now. When I return to Los Angeles, I'll finally have a chance to write a proper Las Vegas trip report.


Original content written and provided by Pauly from Tao of Poker at www.taopoker.com. All rights reserved. RSS feeds are for non-commercial use only.

No comments:

Post a Comment